Monthly Archives: January 2013
In January 2005, my husband and I were eating dinner at Norm’s Restaurant on Lincoln Boulevard, Santa Monica, California. For the second night in a row, I called my mother, who lived in Sonoma at the time. There was no answer. My mother did not believe in answering machines. Still, I knew she would not normally be out two nights in a row. My stomach tensed. I told my husband I was worried. He said she probably was alright; but, I could call the local police in Sonoma and they would look in on her. So, I did.
While the police went to look in on her, we finished our meal and headed home. They did not call back right away. I grew more and more anxious, and decided to do a quick, tarot reading on her. Much to my dismay, the cards looked unfavorable. I told Michael I thought she was dead. He assured me that she was most likely fine. When the police finally called, I was glad. I wanted the uncertainty to end.
I do not know who I spoke to that night. I simply remember his kindness. He gently told me that my mother was dead. The cause was still uncertain. He told me there was evidence of a fire. They were unsure if it was accidental or not, as her apartment was a mess. He made a point to say that she had died quickly and peacefully from the carbon monoxide, not from the flames of the fire. In fact, the fire hand not even touched her body. She was lying in bed asleep at the time.